Saturday, February 13, 2010

Some Conflicting Information

I emailed a relative of Nathan Chance through a Chance family history website and received the following reply.

Carmen: I have checked all my notes and have nothing specifically about the house. However, I can tell you that in 1900 Nathan was listed as owning his farm free and clear. In 1910 he apparently was retired, but owned his house free and clear. And in 1915 he still owned the house free and clear. So, it appears that he was probably the first occupant and probably had it built. Perhaps the Tax Dept. at the court house in Wichita can give you more specific details. I also know that by 1920 he and Mary had left that area and moved into Wichita, where they again owned a house. Sorry I couldn't help you more than this. Good luck in your endeavors, Joan

So this creates a whole new group of questions. Why does the Augusta history book state that the Chances lived at Clark and Dearborn until 1933? Also, did the Chances merely build my house, or did they live in it as well?

I will be emailing Joan back to ask these questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers